Travel is on my mind lately. Not so much the choosing of where to go or what to do, but the whole “now I have to physically get there” part. Plus there’s something about booking a trip well in advance only to have the time pass with this BIG TRIP hanging over your head that you haven’t prepared for. The closer it gets, the less I seem to look forward to it! Hopefully these travel tips will help me (and you!) get to our destination with a little less stress and lot more time for fun.
1. If you’re flying with other friends or family, mix your items among the suitcases. This way if a bag is lost one person isn’t totally out of luck. (And make sure everyone has a change of clothes and a toothbrush in their carry-on!)
2. Throw a potholder in your bag. Now if you need to pack a still-warm curling iron or flat iron you can just slide it inside the potholder without worrying about it melting or damaging something.
3. Pack some bubble wrap. It’ll save space for the inevitable souvenirs and also keep them safe!
4. Grab a matchbook or business card from the hotel lobby. You can direct a cab driver on how to get you home even if you don’t speak the same language!
5. When you make a packing list for a trip make two copies- one for when you pack to leave and another for when you re-pack to come home!
6. Hotel shower caps are great for protecting the clothes in your suitcase from dirty shoes. (A plastic bag works too!)
7. Split up your travel cash among your wallet, pocket and luggage. (Just in case!)
8. Label your electronics, books, and other valuables with address labels. If you lose something the odds of someone mailing it back to you just went up!
9. Request a “Fragile” sticker for your luggage if you need to check a bag. These bags are usually put on the top of the other bags meaning they’re the first to come off and go to baggage claim.
10. Make sure you’ve alerted your bank and credit card company about your travel plans. Having an account frozen because they think your card has been stolen is never fun!
Have some travel tips you want to share? Leave a comment!