Of all the style questions I’ve been asked over the years, making the top five would definitely be “How do I mix prints?” Florals and stripes, polka dots and plaids, what’s a girl to do? I’ve got all you need to know about how to mix and match prints, patterns and textures so you look fantastic!
I’ve put together a few tips and pictures (of course!) to help you navigate mixing and matching. The key to wearable (and not magazine editorial) mixed patterns is to keep things simple!
- You can definitely steer clear of a style mishap by keeping prints and patterns in the same color scheme. Think black and white stripes with black and white polka dots.
- Two is key. Two different textures or prints will look cohesive, three can be too busy. One print needs to act as a neutral, so as not to clash.
- Think of stripes as a neutral. Try them with a floral print or a geometric design.
- Proportions are important. Mix a micro (small) print with a macro (larger).
- Mix textures in the same way. Pair a tweed skirt with a sheer striped top, a textured top with plaid pants, or a lace skirt with a denim shirt.
From there, just keep experimenting! You’ll be amazed at the possibilities in your closet once you start putting different patterns and textures together. Which look is your favorite?