A yummy new spin on breakfast is just what we need! This French Bread Casserole is easy to prepare before bed and pop right in the oven before breakfast!
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but more often than not it’s the easiest one to try to skip!
You know how it goes, you wake up late or with an over-flowing to-do list and think it might be just as easy to grab a granola bar on your way to the car, that’s if you grab anything at all.
In an attempt to get my life in order (hahahaha) I’ve been experimenting with more meal planning, including making freezer meals for those times when I can’t think about dinner but realize we still have to eat. (So annoying, right?)
When I found a breakfast recipe that I could prepare overnight and that my husband would love, that’s definitely a win in my book!
The ingredients are simple, the prep is pretty minimal, and once it’s in the fridge overnight all I need to do is pop it in the oven half an hour before breakfast. Perfect!
This easy French Bread Casserole would also be perfect for holidays (Christmas breakfast, perhaps?), or hosting an event like a brunch or baby or wedding shower. Of course, it’s also perfect for a Saturday morning, or even a weeknight dinner if that’s your idea of a good time! :)
Breakfast French Bread Casserole
French Bread Casserole Ingredients:
- French bread, 18 slices
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage
- ¼ C. milk
- 1 T. dry minced onion
- 2 C. cheddar cheese, shredded
Casserole Preparation Instructions:
- In a skillet, brown the sausage with the dry onion, drain if needed and let cool
- Whisk all the eggs together in a medium size bowl
- Coat a 13 x 9 baking dish with nonstick spray
- Layer 9 pieces of bread in the bottom of the dish
- Add an even layer of cooked sausage over the bread
- Sprinkle on 1 C. of shredded cheese
- Pour on half of the whisked eggs
- Repeat the bread, sausage, egg layering one more time
- Sprinkle on remaining cheese
- Cover the baking dish and place in refrigerator overnight
- Preheat oven to 375
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes
- Serve & enjoy!
This is a great recipe for customizing to your preferences too. Spice things up with spicy sausage or seasonings, throw in some sauteed veggies, make it your own!
Have a favorite breakfast recipe we need to try? Let us know!