My son had a school project this week to make something apple themed. He decided to make an apple from clay but after realizing our clay situation was not ideal (read: old, dry and now in the trash), we decided to try something else. After pinteresting around for a while, and getting completely swept up in all fall themed ideas – we decided to make some spiced fall playdough!
We made a double batch to practice spelling words and also to make snakes because why even have playdough if making playdough snakes isn’t on the to do list. These apples took less than 15 minutes from start to finish! Even cool time. My kids loved making their own apples!
So here is the final result! Lumpy, bumpy, yummy smelling playdough apples for fall! The kids were thrilled to give them to their teachers!
So grab your ingredients and let’s get cooking!
- 1 cup flour (+ a table spoon or so to make up for stickiness)
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- food coloring of your choice. We used red for apples!
How to make your playdough:
Get your helpers, and always have a hungry dog nearby.
- Grab a large pot with a handle.
- Mix dry ingredients. (flour, cream of tartar, salt, spices)
- Add wet ingredients. (oil, water, food coloring)
- 1 tsp food coloring, or until you get to the color you want the final project to be. The color will stay the same until it begins to dry, then it will naturally lighten.
5. Stir over medium heat until it begins to firm up and pull away from the sides of the pan.
6. Pull off heat, then work it into a ball shape. If it’s sticky – add an extra Tbsp. of flour.
Head into your backyard, grab a couple little sticks and leaves. Let your kids roll the playdough into apple shapes. Pop a little stick and leaf in the apple and voila! Spicy yummy fall themed apples!
Want to pin this for later?
Originally published October 6, 2016
Latest posts by Annie (see all)
- Summer Sun and Foundation - June 28, 2020
- Going Au Naturale: A Natural Cosmetics Line We Love! - October 22, 2019
- DIY Spiced Fall Playdough - September 13, 2019