When I got married I promised to love, honor and compromise until death. I suppose that includes holiday decorating, right? While my taste falls on the modern/minimalist side, my husband is about as traditional-loving as they come. Fortunately for me, he doesn’t care too much about things like home decor, but I do know he can appreciate some good ol’ fashioned holiday decorations. So while my idea of fall decor might run along the lines of golds, silvers and glitter, he’d like pumpkins (that are orange and not purple), rustic artwork and cheesy Trick-or-Treating decorations. Hey, you like what you like, right? Trying to uphold my marriage vows, I’m always trying to compromise when it comes to decor, and I found an easy DIY that will blend his more “traditional” taste with my not so traditional style. This pumpkin art is about as easy a project as you can imagine, it took maybe 10 minutes total and cost me under $2!
DIY Pumpkin Art Supplies
- a picture frame (I used an old one I already had)
- small styrofoam pumpkin (this particular one is from Hobby Lobby -$2.99 and 40% off!)
- scrapbook paper (again, I already had)
- glue gun
1. First step, cut your pumpkin in half behind the stem. I used a regular serrated kitchen knife and slowly sawed the pumpkin until I could pop it in two.
2. Use wirecutters or scissors to cut off the stem.
3. The toughest part of the whole project? Choosing the scrapbook paper! Once you make your choice, cut the paper to fit your frame, insert it and close up the back.
4. Add some hot glue to the picture frame glass and stick your pumpkin half in place! That’s it!
A super easy fall or Halloween DIY that you can completely customize to make your own! Plus, when fall is over I can pop the pumpkin off, peel off the glue and reuse the frame!
Originally published October 19, 2015
Latest posts by Jamie (see all)
- 10 Amazon Beauty Finds to Add to Your Prime Day Order - July 16, 2019
- 10 Books My Toddler Loves - July 10, 2019
- Maternity Style Tips - July 9, 2019