Need a special gift for Dad? This easy to make no sew bow tie is a great gift that kids can help make and Dad will love to wear!
When my boys and I were brainstorming for my husband’s Father’s Day gift this year, we knew we wanted something special, something that would be used, and something creative. We decided on a bow tie.
This made a lot of sense for my husband since he sports this accessory often. To bring in the “special” & “creative” aspects we decided to make it ourselves, and add the boys’ fingerprints as polka dots.
DIY No-Sew Bow Tie for Dad
- Fabric (I used an old chambray dress that I didn’t wear anymore. )
- Hot glue gun & glue sticks
- Alligator clip (not pictured here)
1. Cut fabric into two 4.5 x 8” rectangles and one 1.75 x 6” rectangle.
2. Pick your paint colors and have your kids dip their fingers in a color and dab onto the fabric. Let dry.
3. Fold the large rectangle over to the middle and glue. Repeat with other side. *DISCLAIMER: for some reason the pics of the actual product process did not show up, so I grabbed some old fabric scraps to show you the steps for #3, #4, & #6. Then it resumes!)
4. Fold one end to the middle and glue. Repeat with other end. 5. Repeat steps 2 & 3 with the second large rectangle. Now you will have two smaller, folded rectangles for the body of the tie.
6. Fold the smaller (1.75 x 6”) rectangle length-wise to center and glue. Repeat with other side. This will be your wrap around the middle of the tie.
7. Stack the larger rectangles on top of each other.
8. Glue one end of the smaller rectangle to the bottom of the larger rectangles.
9. Squish the fabric to make your bow tie shape.
10. Wrap the smaller strip around the middle of the larger rectangles.
11. Glue strip on the back. Cut off extra fabric.
12. Glue on alligator clip. (Or stitch it on for more security.)
This no sew bow tie is a great gift for Father’s Day, Christmas, birthdays, or just because. And if you need more Father’s Day ideas, try these!
Originally published August 10, 2017