Hopefully you remembered to set your clocks (forward or back, depending on the time of year) and this post isn’t a complete surprise! Along with changing your clocks (don’t forget the clocks in your vehicle!), the start or end of Daylight Saving Time is a good time to remember a few other tasks that you probably don’t think of often!
11 Things to Do When Daylight Saving Time Begins or Ends
1. Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. A must! If you know the batteries have been changed recently, still go ahead and give everything a test. This could be a life-saver!
2. Replace the filters in your heater or air conditioner. Hopefully you remember to do this a few times a year, but this is a good day to do it!
3. Do a quick clean out. This is as good a time as any to toss out any expired items from your kitchen and medicine cabinets!
4. Flip your mattress. If you have a no-flip mattress, simply rotate it. (This will save on wear and tear!)
5. Swap out the baking soda in the fridge. (It’s probably getting a little stale in there.)
6. Reverse your fans. If your ceiling fans have a reverse switch go ahead and change it today. You want them to spin counter-clockwise in the spring and summer months (it will keep things cooler).
7. Swap your closet. If you tend to store your clothes seasonally this is a good day to replace your fall and winter items with some spring and summer threads. (Or the other way around!)
8. Put together an emergency kit. It’s always good to be prepared and spring thunderstorms or winter snowstorm tend to remind us that having items like flashlights (with batteries), first aid kits, and weather radios on hand is a good idea!
9. Wash your pillows. Think about the last time you washed your pillows…can’t remember? That’s what I thought.
10. Vacuum the dryer vent. Add this to your list of Daylight Saving Time to-dos and cut down on a big fire hazard!
11. Take a nap! Did you know the start of Daylight Saving Time is officially considered “Napping Day”? That’s a celebration you don’t want to miss! (And we say it’s more than OK to celebrate if Daylight Savings Time is ending too!)
Originally published March 13, 2016
Latest posts by Jamie (see all)
- DIY: Puppy Pillow Tutorial - April 20, 2018
- Not Another Chocolate Chip Cookie: Crunchy Jumble Cookies - April 18, 2018
- 30 Minute Meal: Chicken Mozzarella - April 15, 2018