I wish I were an always-prepared kind of a girl, but more often than not, I’m scrambling at the last minute to get something done! And one of those areas is definitely the kitchen! It’s quite common for me to remember I need to bake something for the church potluck lunch at 10:00 PM Saturday night. Not an issue if you’ve got all the ingredients, but did I mention I’m not usually prepared?
This chocolate cake though uses no eggs or milk! (Two things that I’m frequently out of at the last minute when the stores are closed!) And all the other ingredients are things I typically have on hand. And if I have them on hand, you probably do too!
- 2 C Sugar
- 3 C Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 6 Tblsp. Cocoa
- 1 Tblsp. Vanilla
- 2 Tblsp. Vinegar
- 3/4 C Vegetable Oil
- 2 C Water
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2. Make three indentations in your dry mixture.
3. Pour the vanilla in the first indentation.
4. Pour the vinegar in the second indentation.
5. And, you guessed it, pour the oil into the third indentation!
6. Mix together (will still be very dry).
7. Pour water over mixture and beat until smooth.
8. Pour mixture into a 9″ x 13″ greased pan.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes until done. (I checked mine the first time at 35 minutes and then every few minutes after until an inserted toothpick came out clean.)
10. Ice with your favorite icing recipe (or the stuff in a can!)
While you do lose a little of the moisture without having any eggs, I still find this cake to be more moist than a lot of chocolate cakes I’ve tried. Plus, it’s not super rich, which is my preference. And best of all, you can taste that batter all you want!
Originally published May 5, 2015
Latest posts by Jamie (see all)
- No Time to Shop? Get a Trendsend Box from Evereve! - May 21, 2019
- What You Can Still Buy from the Vineyard Vines Line at Target - May 19, 2019
- Mother’s Day Gift Guide - May 10, 2019