I’m not that interested in cooking. Just what you want to hear from someone about to give you a recipe, right? But really, I do not have the time or desire to make complicated meals that involve lots of prep work. Just not my thing! That’s why I love these French Dip Sandwiches! They’re fast and easy to put together and for just my husband and I, we can make it a few times on the just the items needed below. And if you have a larger family, you’ll definitely have enough for four or more sandwiches. Also, we use a McCormick’s packet to make the dipping sauce but feel free to be more ambitious if you choose and make your own!
- Hoagie Rolls
- 1 lb Thin Sliced Roast Beef
- .5 lb of Swiss or Provolone Sliced Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons of soft butter
- 1 White Onion thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 McCormick Au Jus Gravy Packet
- 3 Cups of cold water
- Sauté desired amount of onion with some butter on a burner over medium heat. Stir until onion is caramelized (deep brown in color).
- Slice hoagie rolls (if not pre-sliced) long-ways and butter the insides. Place under broiler until golden brown.
- Whisk together packet with three cups of cold water in a sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Layer roast beef onto the bottom half of the toasted hoagie rolls and then add a layer of cheese.
5. Place prepared bottom hoagie rolls under broiler until cheese is melted.
- Place top rolls onto sandwich and wrap assembled sandwich in foil. Place sandwiches in 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove sandwiches from foil, cut in half and serve with small cup of Au Jus for dipping.
These sandwiches are REALLY good, and pretty easy and quick to prepare. And if you’re really in a hurry, you can skip the onions and it’s still a great sandwich!
Originally published November 19, 2014