Pumpkin bread gets quite a reputation as being the bread of the holiday season, but my favorite bread recipe, and one that I only make this time of year, is this Cranberry Orange Bread my mom has been making forever! It’s got just the right amount of tartness from the cranberries and it’s absolutely delicious! (And doesn’t last long once you’ve made it!)
My favorite way to eat this is actually for breakfast. Add some butter and pop in the microwave to warm up for a few seconds. It’s heavenly!
Cranberry Orange Bread Recipe
- 2 C. flour
- 1 C. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 C. shortening
- 1 T. grated orange rind
- 3/4 C. orange juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 C. chopped cranberries
- 1/2 C. chopped nuts (optional)
1. Sift flour with sugar, baking powder, soda and salt into a large bowl.
2. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal.
3. Combine orange juice and orange rind with beaten egg.
4. Pour into flour mixture; mix just until flour is dampened.
5. Wash and roughly chop your cranberries. If you don’t have one of these awesome Pampered Chef choppers, get one! They are wonderful! (And they go in the dishwasher, even better!) Fold in chopped cranberries (and nuts if you’re using them, I’m not).
6. Pour into a greased loaf pan.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. I started checking mine after about 45 minutes (my oven is a little temperamental!)
This stuff is SO GOOD! I love to eat it warm with some butter. SO GOOD, I tell you!Originally published 11/13/2015
Latest posts by Jamie (see all)
- 70+ Pie Recipes You Need this Holiday Season - November 18, 2019
- 10 Children’s Music Albums You Won’t Mind Hearing on Repeat - November 13, 2019
- Cranberry Orange Bread - November 9, 2019