This DIY stand can be used for cake, food, decor, or however you would like to use it. The three best parts: (1) It’s easy (2) It’s inexpensive (3) It’s can be customized to the shower.
So, let’s get started!
- Cardboard Cake stands in different sizes (I found mine at Hobby Lobby – used 8in, 10in, & 12in)
- Decorative scrapbook paper*
- Canned food
- Hot glue gun & hot glue sticks (or regular glue sticks)
Topper (optional): B-A-B-Y wooden letters kabob sticks or craft sticks
1. Trace the cardboard cake stand circles onto the back of the scrapbook paper (this way you don’t see any marking lines after cut-out). *I found my paper at Hobby Lobby. They have tons of paper themes in booklets that are already coordinated.
2. Trace the outside edges of your cardboard and carefully place the paper on top.
3. Measure the height of your cans, then cut strips of paper long enough to wrap completely around the can.
4. Glue the paper to the cans.
5. Arrange your stand by using the pattern of can, circle, can, circle, etc. Once you have the pattern you like, secure the tiers and cans with glue.
6. Finish off the open edges of the cardboard circles by cutting and gluing paper or ribbon.
7. Topper: I used a small, round piece of floral foam for my base. I cut out half a sheet of 12×12 scrapbook paper using scalloped crafting scissors, then gluing around the outside edge of the floral foam.
For the sign, trace letter onto the back of plain scrapbook paper that coordinated with my patterned paper. (Just make sure you trace on the opposite side of the paper from what you want to show since it will be a mirrored shape.) Flip over your letter cut-outs and glue them to the wooden letters.
Glue kabob sticks to the back of each letter, pointy side down, then push the pointy side into the foam to secure.
I used some red ribbon that I had in my stash to fill up the inside of the topper.