My sister said, “I used the coconut oil to remove my makeup and I broke out horribly! I have since stopped using it and my face cleared up.”
After getting a little more info, I realized that she applied it over makeup, tissued it off, then went to bed. As someone with sensitive skin, makeup removers ALWAYS cause my skin to break out. Over time I’ve come to realize that it’s because I have to wash the makeup remover off. That includes coconut oil.
Here is an example of my nightly routine:
- Wash hands (ALWAYS WASH HANDS FIRST BECAUSE, DUH)
- Apply coconut oil all over your face. Gently massage it into skin to help dissolve all makeup – including eye makeup.
- I then use a warm damp towel to GENTLY wipe it off.
- I then use an extremely gentle cleanser (currently using Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser – I started using this during my first pregnancy as a last attempt to rescue my suffering complexion. I still run back to it any time my skin seems stressed).
- I cleanse my face 2x with this cleanser then apply moisturizer.
If you think this sounds too time intensive, you just need to try it one time. I assure you, it’s quick.
Coconut oil is so darn good but you MUST remove all makeup before the next step – even if you are choosing to moisturize with coconut oil! Seems redundant, but trust me, your skin must be free of all the days’ impurities (makeup, dirt, pollution, etc.) before you moisturize.
Originally published March 20, 2015
Tuesday 30th of August 2016
I need to try this! I have heard nothing but amazing things about coconut oil. I have sensitive skin too. I would love to see how it helps.
- Cait | http://www.prettyandfun.com
Thursday 24th of March 2016
Good post! I had the same experience when I began using coconut oil as makeup remover, so I took a break..and devised new way of using it.. So last month I wrote about it too on my blog www.whitneydezigns.com. .....its just close to how you do too... Coconut oil is always great! You just need to find a way that suits your skin... COCONUT BEAUTIES!!
Thursday 30th of July 2015
Annie- What coconut oil brand do you recommend and where do you purchase?
Monday 3rd of August 2015
Hey Kara Koo!
The brand I use is Better Body Foods. It is Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I buy a giant container, 1.75qt, at Sams. I feel comfortable with this brand externally or internally! When I cook with this, I use a spoon to scoop it out and throw it in the pan, any leftovers on the spoon I take and rub on my arms and into my cuticles while my food cooks. Just watch out for hungry pugs... because in my experience, they want to eat your arms when they are covered in coconut oil. ;)
Any brand you buy from Sprouts, Central Market, Whole Foods, or any natural grocer would be a safe bet. Just look for the key words - organic, extra virgin.