It’s easy to forget. You spend all this time on your makeup and then you need to rush out the door! Who has time to clean makeup brushes? Well, you do! It’s super simple and quick and your skin NEEDS you to do this.
Even if your brushes look OK, think about the last time you gave them a good cleaning. (If you can’t remember, it’s obviously been too long!) I used to think spritzing them with a daily cleaner was sufficient, but when I stopped to think about the fact that these brushes are going onto my skin, I thought it was worth looking into!
It turns out that giving your brushes a good weekly cleaning will keep them, and your face, in great shape! It’s easy, it’s fast, and your brushes will thank you!
What you need to clean makeup brushes
- Your sink
- Bowl of lukewarm water
- Baby shampoo
1. Start by running your brushes under lukewarm water in the sink. Focus on the ends of the bristles, not near the head (where the handle meets the bristles). This can loosen them up and weaken them.
2. Fill a bowl with lukewarm water and a squirt of baby shampoo. Gently swirl your brushes in the water. If a brush is really dirty you can use your fingers or palm to work up a lather in the brush.
3. Rinse the brush with running water. Repeat steps 2 and 3 if necessary.
4. Reshape your bristles and lay the brushes flat on a cloth to dry.
While I still (try to) spritz my brushes with a daily cleaner (I use the e.l.f. Daily Brush Cleaner), it’s still a good idea to give your brushes a deep clean about once a week! Another tool that looks like it might be useful? This handy mat! (Affiliate link)
Have another method that works for you to clean makeup brushes? Share! And if you’re looking for a few more useful beauty tools, check these out.
Originally published March 1, 2016
Latest posts by Jamie (see all)
- Easy Garlic Bruschetta Recipe - June 14, 2021
- Meal Planning for the Family with a New Baby - May 31, 2021
- Koala Crate: The Perfect Subscription Box for Toddlers - May 21, 2021