It’s easy to forget. You spend all this time on your makeup and then you need to rush out the door! Who has time to clean your makeup brushes? Well, you do!
Even if your brushes look OK, think about the last time you gave them a good cleaning. (If you can’t remember, it’s obviously been too long!) I used to think spritzing them with a daily cleaner was sufficient, but when I stopped to think about the fact that these brushes are going onto my skin, I thought it was worth looking into! It turns out that giving your brushes a good weekly cleaning will keep them (and your face!) in great shape! It’s easy, it’s fast, and your brushes will thank you!
What you need:
- Your sink
- Bowl of lukewarm water
- Baby shampoo
1. Start by running your brushes under lukewarm water in the sink. Focus on the ends of the bristles, not near the head (where the handle meets the bristles). This can loosen them up and weaken them.
2. Fill a bowl with lukewarm water and a squirt of baby shampoo. Gently swirl your brushes in the water. If a brush is really dirty you can use your fingers or palm to work up a lather in the brush.
3. Rinse the brush with running water. Repeat steps 2 and 3 if necessary.
4. Reshape your bristles and lay the brushes flat on a cloth to dry.
While I still (try to) spritz my brushes with a daily cleaner (I use the e.l.f. Daily Brush Cleaner), it’s still a good idea to give your brushes a deep clean about once a week! Another tool that looks like it might be useful? This handy mat! (Affiliate link)
Originally published March 1, 2016
Latest posts by Jamie (see all)
- Omelette Muffins - May 19, 2018
- Minimalist and Capsule Wardrobes: The Pros and Cons - May 15, 2018
- Black Bean Salsa Recipe - May 13, 2018