I am going to tell you a secret about me. I am a very patient person but nothing fills me with more immediate rage than when one of the following two things happens: 1) Inanimate objects don’t do the one thing they are designed to do and 2) When things that should be simple are difficult. Like, I cannot emphasize enough how angry I get when my toaster, which is set on the very same setting it always is, suddenly starts burning my toast. RAGE! Creatures great and small take cover when my printer won’t connect to my computer. I could go on but I’m getting worked up just writing about it. Rawr!!!
Deep Breath…cheeseburgers…Aaron Tveit…hot cup of tea…Hamilton…
OK, I’m back.
All that to say, anything that makes my life a wee bit easier is a plus in my book. Every time I see a Life Hacks article on Pinterest, I almost always read it and take away one or two ideas that are actually helpful and useful. So, my beautiful readers, here is a list of some of the life hacks that have stuck through the years. Take what you need and disregard the rest.
My Current Top 5 Life Hacks
- Spray your cooking spray over the dishwasher lid so you don’t have to worry about cleaning up the extra sprayage. Ain’t nobody got time for that biz.
(Is it just me or does staring at the bunt pan long enough make it turn inside out?)
- Use disposable plates between your skillets to prevent them from scratching.
(I just recently upgraded to some Pampered Chef cookware protective thingies and feel like the fanciest lady in all the land)
- Keep a highlighter in your medicine cabinet to highlight dosage. I’m sure several people have their dosage memorized, but when I have a pounding headache, the last thing I want to do is look at the teeny tiny ant writing and find how many pills I should take.
(But really, does anyone actually read the warning labels? Maybe they do and I am in the minority…wait…I’m starting to question everything…am I the only one that doesn’t read the labels?)
- Stand on scotch pads while showering, it keeps your shower floor clean and prevents slipping. Sometimes I am in the shower and see the beginning of soap scum or whatever and now I can just wipe it down real quick. SO great.
(Yes I know that my toes look awful. I like to call it the “I am out of nail polish remover” pedicure.)
- Keep cleaning supplies in all your bathrooms for when the urge strikes. I can’t tell you the times I’ve thought “I need to clean my mirrors” but don’t because the supplies are on the other end of the house. I hate cleaning so if it isn’t convenient, it won’t happen as often.
(After taking a picture of this bathroom cabinet, I will welcome any advice on cabinet organization…hot mess.)
So there you have it – my current top 5 life hacks. Now go, live well, and (hopefully) slightly more conveniently.
Originally published September 15, 2016
Latest posts by Anna Jane (see all)
- Giving the Gift of Lucky Day Soup - January 14, 2018
- Biscuits and Gravy: The Perfect Sausage Gravy Recipe - January 6, 2018
- Meals to Warm You Up: Judi Lashley Chili - December 1, 2017