When I was growing up one of my favorite holiday traditions was making sour cream sugar cookies with my mom. Now that I have a family I wanted to continue that tradition with my kids. Back then, I loved making cookies to get to lick the dough off of the beaters. Now, I love making cookies to get to lick the dough off of the beaters. Okay, partly kidding. And, partly truthful – now I have to fight my kids for the dough!
Even so, I have loved making these delicious cookies and homemade icing then & now! Now my kids love making them together with me, and also my mom on occasion, too!
- ½ C. shortening
- ½ C. butter
- 1 C. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
Mix together, then add food coloring, if desired.
- 2 ⅔ C. flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ C. sour cream
Mix well. Put in the fridge to cool and harden for about 30 min. for easier rolling and shaping.
* I usually make a double batch of icing.
- 1 T. melted butter
- ¾ C. powdered sugar
- 1 T. milk
- ½ tsp. Vanilla
- ¼ tsp. Lemon juice
Combine & beat until smooth.
Add food coloring, if desired.
1. Line your baking sheet with wax paper for less mess.
2. Sprinkle some flour onto your surface and your rolling pin.
3. Roll out dough (you may also want to sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough to roll easier).
*Heads up, this is dough can get sticky. After I get my first roll of dough to cut I put the bowl of unused dough back in the fridge until I’m ready for more.
4. Tap your cookie cutters in the flour then cut out your festive shapes.
5. Gently move to your baking sheet.
6. Add icing, sprinkles, etc.
7. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes.
Enjoy with your family!
Latest posts by Aubrie (see all)
- I’m Engaged! Now What? Part 2: Having a wedding coordinator is totally worth it! - January 17, 2018
- DIY Yarn Wall Hanging - January 8, 2018
- Getting Intentional: Wall of Purpose - January 4, 2018