Need a Valentine’s Day treat that’s both delicious and adorable? I’ve got just what you need with these Red Velvet Truffles! I have never in my life attempted any kind of truffle or cake ball making, so I was pleasantly surprised at how easy these were to make!
Red Velvet Truffles
Ingredients (Yields about 4 dozen)
- Red Velvet Cake box mix (and listed ingredients, usually vegetable oil, water and eggs)
- 1 block of cream cheese (softened)
- Meltable white chocolate (I ended up needing an extra half bag to cover all of mine!)
- Meltable milk chococolate (optional)
1. Bake your cake according to the instructions and let it cool completely. (I baked mine the night before and let it cool all night,)
2. Take that beautiful cake and crumble it up in a bowl.
3. Take your softened block of cream cheese and drop it right in. Start kneading it with your fingers to work it through all the cake. You’ll end up with a dough-like mixture.
4. Take a Tablespoon amount of the dough and roll it into a ball. It your dough is a little crumbly just smash it together until it sticks and then try to roll into a ball. (The cream cheese really helps it stick together!) Place the truffle balls onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in the refrigerator to cool. I left mine in for a couple of hours. If you were wanting to turn your truffles into cake pops you could pop in your sticks at this point!
5. Once the truffle balls are chilled melt your white chocolate on either the stove or in the microwave. I used the microwave and did 30 second increments on high until it was melted.
6. Place a truffle ball onto the flat part of a fork (don’t pierce it) and dip it into the white chocolate. Let it drip over the bowl a little before placing it back on your baking sheet.
7. Once they’ve hardened a bit (it won’t take long) you can also drizzle a little milk chocolate on top too! (I melted some chocolate flavored almond bark and placed it in a Ziploc bag and cut a corner off.)
8. Place your truffles back into the fridge until you’re ready to serve!
Not only were these pretty to look at, they taste amazing too! They’re not overly sweet, but the cream cheese adds such a great richness and the white chocolate is the perfect complement!
Originally published February 4, 2016
Latest posts by Jamie (see all)
- Tips on (Successfully) Running Your Home-Based Business - February 15, 2018
- Making Money on Poshmark - February 13, 2018
- Cleaning Your Makeup Brushes - February 12, 2018